Are you ready to draw closer to God than ever? It is not as hard as you think. In fact, it is God’s plan for us to have a deeper relationship with Him even much more than we desire.
Even if you have a busy life, what counts is your willingness to bring God into your everyday life and not when it is convenient.
Thus, if you’re a stressed-out mom or student wondering how to get closer to God, have no worries! I’m going to discuss several doable practices for everyday communion with God.
You don’t need any special equipment and you don’t need any specific religious background—just some time and a few small changes in your lifestyle.
Here are seven surprisingly simple ways for everyday Christians (like you!) to draw closer to God.
What does it mean to draw closer to God?
Before jumping into the practical ways to draw closer to God, it’s important to understand why it’s so rewarding and beneficial.
Drawing closer to God helps us to develop our intimacy with God. Another word for intimacy is (into-me-see) which means that God knows us more than we know ourselves. He formed every part of us and He knows our weaknesses.
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew[a] you,Jeremiah 1:5
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Since God knows us it is better to come before Him expectant and in sincerity. Another benefit of drawing near to God is that it is also incredibly uplifting; being in God’s presence can bring joy, peace, and contentment as you develop a stronger relationship with Him.
When you grow closer to God, you become more dependent on Him completely and your faith in Him increases. It is also quite inspiring; when you build a closer relationship with God, being in His presence can offer joy, calm, and satisfaction.
The good news is that we don’t have to do this alone. The Holy Spirit is supposed to teach us all things. He can show us through the scriptures how God wants us to live each day
when we take an active role in deepening our knowledge of God through prayer, reading scripture, meditating on His Word, and living in obedience.
So if you’re looking for ways to make sure that every single day is filled with connection and joy then look no further. Drawing closer to God can be achieved in many ways: prayer, scripture reading, worship, etc.
Through these practices we not only learn more about who God is – but – what He desires for our lives too!
How do you build a closer bond with God?
Building an unbreakable bond with our heavenly father can seem like an insurmountable task. But the truth is, it’s as easy as ABC – all you need is faith, discipline, and the desire to live in complete obedience to God.
Take a few moments each day to quietly reflect on your relationship with God. Begin your day by asking the Holy Spirit to guide you.
I would recommend that you start your ‘conversation’ with God in the early hours of the morning. That should be the first thing you should do to begin your day.
I call it a ‘conversation with God’ because our relationship with God should be seen as a father and child relationship. You can begin by getting up from your bed and worshipping God alongside your favorite worship songs.
Ask the Holy Spirit to give you clarity as you study the Scripture. Each day comes with a new revelation that is why you need the Holy Spirit.
The reason I don’t subscribe to you listening to another preacher’s sermon the first thing in the morning is that you need to learn how to hear God for yourself.
If God can speak to other people He can also speak to you but you need to be submitted to the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
You also need a daily devotional and of course your Bible and a journal. A good devotional for starters is the Daily Devotions from Psalms by Joyce Meyer.
Take the time to really ponder on the passages of scripture outlined. Go deeper to examine what the Bible says. Pace yourself and meditate on one scripture at a time.
Even if it seems confusing, don’t give up, keep at it. There are some scriptures that would require days or weeks to fully understand what God is saying. This is how God teaches us the power of consistency.
You can also talk to God in prayer. Prayers don’t have to be stuffy or complicated; just talk to him about whatever is on your heart. Praying for yourself and others will help open up the lines of communication between you two, deepening your bond even further.
As you pray don’t forget the place of offering forgiveness to yourself and those who have hurt you. We can’t expect God to hear us if we regard iniquity in our hearts.
By taking simple steps such as these, you’ll begin to develop a deeper connection with our God that will bring you joy and peace like never before – now that’s the good stuff!
How can I draw Closer to God?
If you don’t quite know where to start on how to draw closer to God, no worries—there are a multitude of ways that you can do so! But let’s start with the most important step.
First, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour? If you want to re-dedicate your life to Jesus then you can do so by telling God to come into your life and repent of your sin.
Tell the Holy Spirit to lead you to the right church and the right community of like-minded believers who are ready to grow in their walk with God. Let’s move on to the next one:
- Prayer: This is probably the most obvious one, but it’s also the most important. Talking to God in prayer sets a foundation for every other step you take on your spiritual journey. You don’t have to use fancy words just open your mouth and speak. Romans 8:26-27
- Fast: Fasting helps you set aside time for prayer and meditating on scriptures, which allows you to draw closer to God and more deeply understand His will. It’s also an opportunity for personal reflection and renewal.
- Study the Bible: Studying the Bible daily is essential if you want to draw closer to God. Not only that, but it’s a great source of information and guidance on how to live according to His will. And don’t be afraid—you don’t need any prior knowledge or expertise—all you need is a heart that’s ready to abide by His teachings.
- Surround Yourself With Positive Influences: Surrounding yourself with other people who also want to draw closer to God helps keep your faith strong and makes it easier for us both to grow together in our walk with God!
What are the 7 keys to intimacy with God?
We get it—it’s tough to stay connected to your Creator while you’re living in an increasingly secular world. But there are practical ways to draw closer to God every day, like unlocking the seven keys of intimacy with Him. Here’s how it works:
The first thing is to get to know the Holy Spirit because, without the spirit of God, our relationship with God will make no sense. People neglect God’s spirit and expect to understand the scriptures and go through challenges victoriously.
Paul the Apostle was able to do more exploits for God than the disciples because of the help of the Holy Spirit. He is right there with you but you need to make the first move and talk to Him.
- Dig Into God’s Word: Move closer to God by reading scripture and studying books about Him that deepen our understanding of who He is and how we can relate with Him.
- Pray Often: Prayer is a vital part of connecting with God, whether formal or informal, out loud or inwardly. Talking to Him shows your trust in Him and strengthens that bond of intimacy!
- Seek Guidance From Experienced Believers: Talk to a spiritual mentor or trusted pastor who can show you Biblical ways for staying connected with God—after all, it never hurts to have someone with experience show you the ropes!
- Serve Others: Nothing brings us closer to God than serving others, especially those in need—so seek out opportunities and be ready to sacrifice your time and resources!
- Participate In A Church Community: Want more face-to-face interaction? Get involved in a local church community and attend meaningful service sessions, Bible studies, social activities, etc., that bring fellow believers together around a shared faith.
- Find A Quiet Place To Reflect & Meditate: Take a break from all the noise of the world and go somewhere private where you can be spiritually present with Him without distractions or interruptions—nature hikes are great if you’re looking for ideas!
- Live Intentionally Every Day: Lastly
When it comes down to it, drawing closer to God is all about being intentional in connecting with Him. Set aside time to spend with Him, read His Word, talk to Him, and get to know Him.
Don’t forget to be thankful and rejoice in the wonders of His Love, Grace, and Peace. Oh, and if you ever start to lose motivation, just remember that God’s closeness is worth all the effort–so don’t give up!